Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCT + harnesses

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by colm View Post
    I was told by a fella working in a nct centre that harnesses are fine in the car as long as the original seatbelts are still there. This was a while back now though and I'm sure like most places its differnet rules on different days for different people.

Will the cage fit with the seatbelts in place?
    I'd say it could come down to the testers mood colm, unfortunately my Fabricage is such a good fit there's no space for the belts at all, but there's a harness bar in the rear section to wrap the harnesses around. I found 2 E marked harnesses in the uk for sale just finding out a bit more detail at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdolan View Post
    From talking to a friend who is a tester, he said he ll pass a safe harness any day of the week but, but if the tester feels the mounting of the harness is unsafe or the bolts that are holding them in aren't up to job they ll fail the car.
    I've heard that before myself its very fair to be honest, i'll just give it a go and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Cefiro passed with cage, stripped interior, 2 buckets and 2 harnesses when I nctd it many moons ago
    i'll just be giving it a go anyways peter, seems that there's nothing 100% nothing clear on the matter so i'll just have to wait and see

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Just thought i'd update this for future reference if anyone wants to know. My car just passed the nct with full bolt in through dash cage, 2 X 2" Safety devices 4 point harnesses and bucket seat, no rear seats, carpet or standard seat belts in the car.

The harnesses are both E marked but he didn't check them for it. I also found the law on harnesses in vehicles,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1971/en/si/0096.html

(a) be a diagonal belt, a three point belt or a harness belt as defined in Regulation No. 16;

(b) be securely attached to the anchorage points provided for it under article 3 of these Regulations;

(c) in the case of a belt fitted with a retractor, satisfy the requirements of the First Schedule to these Regulations;

(d) be clearly and indelibly marked—

(i) with one of the approved standard marks set out in Column 2 of the Second Schedule to these Regulations, and

(ii) with the belt manufacturer's name, initials, trade name or trade-mark.

It basically states that the "safety belt" must have one of the approved standard marks shown on the page, one of those is an "E" marking.

Anyone with a harness on a road car should print it off just to have handy for future reference.