PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 4.1 or 4.4 ratio diff wanted for e46 BMW

niall s14a
07-11-13, 22:02
As above lads, I know it's a long shot but worth a try. Looking for something to suit an e46 with a good ratio. Even a good diff that's not a direct fit will be considered. I'm no expert on bmws so enlighten me as to what will do the job!

Cheers

DaveM-sport
08-11-13, 21:30
Your kinda out of luck really for E46 diffs in any ratio suitable.

Off hand, the only way to get a somebit reasonable ratio by just swapping bits and pieces is to use an E46 M3 rear axle and fit a 3.91cwp from an E34 M5 into the the M3 LSD

Lucius
08-11-13, 22:34
Your kinda out of luck really for E46 diffs in any ratio suitable.

Off hand, the only way to get a somebit reasonable ratio by just swapping bits and pieces is to use an E46 M3 rear axle and fit a 3.91cwp from an E34 M5 into the the M3 LSD

Wuuut? :p

I've a 4.44, 3.73 and 3.38 x 2.
4.44 is welded and fitted into e46. Rest of diffs are in the shed. Can be welded and fitted if needed.

You could also get a bmw X3 diff - 3.64 afaik - this is also p&p ;)

DaveM-sport
08-11-13, 22:51
What are they from? I've only seen the stupid low ratio ones so far and best being a 3.63 in the M3s.. shows how many E46s I work on lol

niall s14a
09-11-13, 08:36
Wuuut? :p

I've a 4.44, 3.73 and 3.38 x 2.
4.44 is welded and fitted into e46. Rest of diffs are in the shed. Can be welded and fitted if needed.

You could also get a bmw X3 diff - 3.64 afaik - this is also p&p ;)

Much work to fit the 3.7 Lucius? Or was it much work to fit the 4.44? Can you pm me with prices please?

What are they from? I've only seen the stupid low ratio ones so far and best being a 3.63 in the M3s.. shows how many E46s I work on lol

early e46s with m43 automatics dave.
he's talking 168mm diffs ;)

niall s14a
09-11-13, 12:38
early e46s with m43 automatics dave.
he's talking 168mm diffs ;)

So that will be fuck all use to me with a s54 in front of it then?

in a word... yes.
daves solution is the only one that will really work for you tbh.
m5 3.91 into the e46 casing

niall s14a
09-11-13, 15:30
in a word... yes.

Ok cheers lads. Lookin like I could go down the Nissan route yet then.

Lucius
10-11-13, 18:45
in a word... yes.

In a word.... No :P
X3 diff will be cheapest option. Much stronger than small case diff.

There's a lad using small case diff from 318i auto in his v8 powered e46, so I don't know what's all about.
There's plenty e46's on continent with them fitted and I didn't read about anybody destroying his diff :)

Lucius
10-11-13, 18:46
You could also use a limo diff from e32 and modify casing or get one which is modified already.
Last piece which was sold on ebay was priced at 450. P&P

niall s14a
10-11-13, 20:08
Ye see this is why I'm asking for advice, every time I research it I find conflicting opinions. I've done some enquiring in a few places but it seems BMW lads don't really want to share much. Been chatting to Colm Murray who was very helpful but he went with a big money gtr back end and I'm not up for that as il probably never get further than a track day but would still like it reliable

DaveM-sport
10-11-13, 21:12
A welded small case diff is plenty strong but depends if you entisols go supercharging the S54 :p
Small case diffs only break when they aren't welded completely or when left open or LSDs. Weld the output flanges solid with the diff center and you'll have no worries :)

I'd still go with an M3 rear axle really and 3.91cwp myself with either the M-var diff center or uprated M5 one depending on what worked better.

X3 diff sounds the best value to go for though :)
There's loads of people in Eastern Europe drifting E46s as much as we use E36s and they are definitely not all M3s or big money builds... Only Lukas can understand what they say in how they go about stuff though :p

Upto a few years ago, changing a diff in a BMW for better acceleration or drifting was unheard of in Ireland. Now you have lads in 318iSes at it and being one of the first things they do so all it takes is a few people to mess about with the E46s and see what might work :)

niall s14a
12-11-13, 16:06
A welded small case diff is plenty strong but depends if you entisols go supercharging the S54 :p
Small case diffs only break when they aren't welded completely or when left open or LSDs. Weld the output flanges solid with the diff center and you'll have no worries :)

I'd still go with an M3 rear axle really and 3.91cwp myself with either the M-var diff center or uprated M5 one depending on what worked better.

X3 diff sounds the best value to go for though :)
There's loads of people in Eastern Europe drifting E46s as much as we use E36s and they are definitely not all M3s or big money builds... Only Lukas can understand what they say in how they go about stuff though :p

Upto a few years ago, changing a diff in a BMW for better acceleration or drifting was unheard of in Ireland. Now you have lads in 318iSes at it and being one of the first things they do so all it takes is a few people to mess about with the E46s and see what might work :)

I've came across a lad in the north that has a good stock of BMW stuff so I should pick up an Evo diff set up there. So then the best thing is just to weld it then after that?

DaveM-sport
13-11-13, 00:31
Evo setup??? Not sure but you'll need a bit of swapping around to fit that too.

You could just fit a complete 3L M3 rear axle onto it too of course and just use the usual 4.1, 4.4 or whatever diff suits then.

Thing the trailing arms might fit without too much bother so just need a work out a way to fit the subframe and things.