PDA

View Full Version : cams...

ste
08-12-09, 21:26
hi lads i not in the know mechanically but wat are the benefits of cams and what do the numbers associated with them mean??? and how do you choose wat cams best suit ya set up??? and how much do they cost??

git
08-12-09, 21:35
hi lads i not in the know mechanically but wat are the benefits of cams and what do the numbers associated with them mean??? and how do you choose wat cams best suit ya set up??? and how much do they cost??
Good question ! Wud like to know meself

jonny b
08-12-09, 21:43
numbers are inlet and outlet degrees,,more sever etc,,
price depends on the engine..

Dunnedriftin
08-12-09, 21:48
numbers are inlet and outlet degrees,,more sever etc,,
price depends on the engine..

So basicly the valve opening more than normal? like a bigger gap? :cool:

git
08-12-09, 22:03
well i knew that thought there was more too it ! Ah sure all good ha

titey86
08-12-09, 22:11
one is duration eg the 264 or 272 this is the amount of degrees the valves stay open, the 8mm or 10 mm is the lift, its the amount the valve lifts off its face, really depends on what sort of set up u want

ontherack
08-12-09, 22:15
Apart from the degrees of the cams, there is also the lift. The higher the lift the more are gets into and out of the engine while the valves are open. The higher lift cams generally requirement more modification to the engine to fit, like uprated springs and so on. Like Tomei poncams I think work without needed uprated springs and the Tomei procams require springs.

Aftermarket cams give more power/torque but generally higher up the revs, mid and high end gains.

ste
08-12-09, 22:27
so would they be worth doing on my car for example

tweek
08-12-09, 22:34
the higher duration pushes the power band further up the rev range the power will come in later.the lift is what really gives u the power but as said previously the higher the lift the possible need to uprate springs.with turbo cars u need to match the cams to the turbo so that the cams would spool the turbo quicker or what ever your preference

andy t
09-12-09, 00:17
so would they be worth doing on my car for example

Oh Ya :)

& dont forget da big meaty noise they make,gotta love that

mike g
09-12-09, 00:26
got cams for my car last week!! got HKS step 2 264in and 272ex for €100 and fuck all wear on them!! getting valve springs now and then fitting these bad boys!! cant wait for the gains and the lumpy idle