PDA

View Full Version : IS it who u know or can u drift

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 13:58
As said in last thread, does anyone know why the likes of Martin french, Johney P and Mike Deane never have the chance to go to Formula D. No talk about James Deane in this he has lots of time and will prob be heading there so no point talking bout something we know about.

s13-ste
03-11-09, 14:02
to a degree its who you know.

IMO martin french has never been offered a seat in america because one the maths go against him and he cant win a championship he just drops out of it and doesn't compete, Mike dean, is he good enough? drifting in the tates is alot different to here, all about power, jonny P, what team could afford him. he writes off every car he gets into lol

Famous jh
03-11-09, 14:03
Before ye start shitting ye're selves thinkin "oh no he's stirring more shit"... He's actually making a very good point.......

Think about.

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:06
@ s13 ste

jonny P, what team could afford him. he writes off every car he gets into lol

ha ha good point andfunny lmfao man

Famous jh
03-11-09, 14:08
to a degree its who you know.

IMO martin french has never been offered a seat in america because one the maths go against him and he cant win a championship he just drops out of it and doesn't compete,

Ever think why french drops out?? Cos he doest get the sponsors.... ever wonder WHY??

m-sykes
03-11-09, 14:08
i didnt even think driftin was big in america, i use to race for slips there but then i moved to japan and i was thought how to drift

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:09
ya please dont ban me for this one, dont take it 2 serious edr

s13-ste
03-11-09, 14:12
i didnt even think driftin was big in america, i use to race for slips there but then i moved to japan and i was thought how to drift

you actally live in f&f dream land

Famous jh
03-11-09, 14:14

"dream" or living the dream :p

DI competition!!!! Come ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets sort the keyboard drifters from the drifters.

I'll find a car somewhere

m-sykes
03-11-09, 14:14

as i said before i lived in the states and kept getting into trouble so eventually i had to move there, but its not so bad i made lots of friends in the drift world

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:22
@m-sykes

ha lol, get off my thread ur ruining it with ur lies,

Now see how sad every1 sounds when they giv out to me.

anyway back to the drifters.
Any of them on this site???

Famous jh
03-11-09, 14:25
@m-sykes

ha lol, get off my thread ur ruining it with ur lies,

Now see how sad every1 sounds when they giv out to me.

Now now Ronan let him have his "opinion" :rolleyes:

Just french is all i think...

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:28
no john i think he shud be banned.

Id like to see frenchs opinion or any other drifter that thinks they shud make it

s13-ste
03-11-09, 14:29
nigle, wez, james dean, think there could be more

Famous jh
03-11-09, 14:32
Think about it though, its not all about America or "making it"....

Think its just driftin seems very one sided in Ireland....It seems to be the same few over and over, winning...gettin the big sponsors etc..

Ireland needs another PROPER drift series to mix things up..

s13-ste
03-11-09, 14:34
Ireland needs another PROPER drift series to mix things up..

and its coming.
the UDC is going to be heading south soon and iv a feeling it will be better than PD/D-rift.

blusrule
03-11-09, 14:37
and its coming.
the UDC is going to be heading south soon and iv a feeling it will be better than PD/D-rift.

I hope it better than prodrift anyway, I gave up on prodrift because of the costs! Not saying I would have made it anywhere in it but I wud enjoy a good competition that the little guys get a chance in! There are alot of good drivers out there but they cannot afford to make it big so by that I thinks it's who you know

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:42
That will be good to see, if the prices to enter were cheaper im sure we would see some good drivers being able to come out., Thats what turns me off drifting in comp, spending aloda cash and being able to drift but if ur not in with the crew ur never gonna get places ( in some cases not all)

Any1 feel the same or anything else like that

Greg
03-11-09, 14:44
That will be good to see, if the prices to enter were cheaper im sure we would see some good drivers being able to come out., Thats what turns me off drifting in comp, spending aloda cash and being able to drift but if ur not in with the crew ur never gonna get places ( in some cases not all)

That's an interesting point you are making, but i'd love to hear from somebody that is actually competing competitively before I agree or disagree.

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:47
Iv seen some battles that the loser ac did better. one was Mike Fitz vs Mcdonagh in the volvo. Mike cudnt do any better but I think Mcdonagh was know better and because he was driving a "volvo" inplying he had better drift skills than Mike in his s13. Mcdonagh picked the volvo and probs likes it,dont have to feel sorry for em cause e hasnt got a nissan

blusrule
That's an interesting point you are making, but i'd love to hear from somebody that is actually competing competitively before I agree or disagree.

Yeah we should wait and see what they think. But at same time they mightn't want to say anything bad about the competition they in in case there is a backlash for them!

Mick K
Its alot to do with promotion of the drivers in the States,

Im open to correction but say Dean Kearney,Ian Bergin worked his fucking arse of to get Dean a drive out there.Was promoting him for months,Radio shows,Blogs,Websites i.e wrecked magazine,Everything drift,SpeedHunters.
And it all paid off after a while,Got a drive of the 14,Bad luck it blew but thats true Kearnage style.

From what I know and again Im open to correction again on this but Eric's situation,He had the results here fair enough but again that also took promotion,Eric and Fuzzy liased with guys in the states for ages blagging the wonder boy a drive,And he rocked the place fair play to him this year.

As regards to the other guys,Whos to say they want to drive in the states?

Its not all as green on the other side,Yoiu still have to pay your flights accomadation etc,Works out twice as expensive to skid out there.

blusrule
03-11-09, 14:49
Iv seen some battles that the loser ac did better. one was Mike Fitz vs Mcdonagh in the volvo. Mike cudnt do any better but I think Mcdonagh was know better and because he was driving a "volvo" inplying he had better drift skills than Mike in his s13. Mcdonagh picked the volvo and probs likes it,dont have to feel sorry for em cause e hasnt got a nissan

Yeah im fed up of the hole idea in Ireland that it's either jap or scrap! It seems to impact on what way people look at the drifter aswel!

s13-ste
03-11-09, 14:50

personally i think the problem with irish drifting is paying for your licence.
take a look at the BDC. the hold a licence day, if you dont win one you dont compete. drivers get so much more track time than PD and it gives them the room to play around and try new things like team events

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:52
And if anyone thinks Im just friends with Mike its not, I look at a battle as if I dont Know the person, even if I H8 em.

If u dont agree its like when Darren McNamara lost to Kazama?? there was no one more time, HOW could an Irish lad beat a Jap lad ,, I thinks its who u know and how big r name is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzvCj2_ND88&feature=PlayList&p=1C11865EB71C91E9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24

What any1 think der

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 14:53
Yeah we should wait and see what they think. But at same time they mightn't want to say anything bad about the competition they in in case there is a backlash for them!

True but what has french got 2 lose, Noone is hepling him anyway

blusrule
03-11-09, 14:57
That is seriously close with McNamara there, the thing with drifting is it seems to be private kind of competitions in every country. Theres nothing like FIA or that ruling them so if the organisation favours or knows someone they seem to get on alot better

blusrule
03-11-09, 14:59
True but what has french got 2 lose, Noone is hepling him anyway

That's true, i suppose they should speak up now and see what happens. Sponsers are going to be hard to get for the next couple of years anyway though

Stevo
03-11-09, 15:02

All on this site plus the UDC lads aswell

alan sinnott
conorosr20
D McNamara
danmoorhead
Dennis Healy
Flat Eric
James Deane RX7
Martin ffrench
nigey00

s13-ste
03-11-09, 15:02
there has to be a reason why "the best drifter in ireland" cant get sponsered

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 15:35
there has to be a reason why "the best drifter in ireland" cant get sponsered

DRIFTERS not best drifter
And before we start listing whos the best,I just listed some that came to my head that arnt given the chance and 2 tried to write a list of names, cause PD is a very close comp and any1 could win it

--Sinead--
03-11-09, 15:57
alan sinnott
conorosr20
D McNamara
danmoorhead
Dennis Healy
Flat Eric
James Deane RX7
Martin ffrench
nigey00

Don't forget carpo! ;)

mikeysr
03-11-09, 16:27
as i said before i lived in the states and kept getting into trouble so eventually i had to move there, but its not so bad i made lots of friends in the drift world

fast and the furious tokyo drift you can get it in xtra vision.....:D

s13-ste
03-11-09, 16:30
fast and the furious tokyo drift you can get it in xtra vision.....:D

why bother just read all his posts and you will get the DRIFT of the story(see what i did there:D)

even his sig makes me laugh, his profile pic, just about everything about him

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 16:40
ah brilliant

mikeysr
03-11-09, 16:42
why bother just read all his posts and you will get the DRIFT of the story(see what i did there:D)

who the fuck is he then the lad from the initial d cartoon???

tweek
03-11-09, 17:01
anyone ever watch the novices?now thats funny who gets in the top 16 lots of very good lads get poor scores

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 17:40
its funny how my thread that made no sense after awhile if it every made sense lol had more views "1833+" and then I bring up a good point and everyone goes quiet?????????

Whats the story

mike g
03-11-09, 17:51
ur a faggot maybe

sr20ronan
03-11-09, 18:06
Mike stop u could get banned for dat lol

blusrule
03-11-09, 18:32
its funny how my thread that made no sense after awhile if it every made sense lol had more views "1833+" and then I bring up a good point and everyone goes quiet?????????

Whats the story

Sorry, was in college! Ah y did they lock the other thread? Was goin so wel! Fair play for rising so many people! :D
Anyways I don't think it pays to be a competition drifter in Ireland, better off just doing practice days for the craic, unless you have someone in a high place as a friend!

nicky h
03-11-09, 18:52
hay mike g your the biggest faggot i no ,ha ha ha ha ,

blusrule
03-11-09, 18:56

Ah lets not start the abuse again! Some people were very offended earlier! :D :rolleyes: :D

Hachihead
03-11-09, 19:32
It definitely is down to who you know to get sponsers etc because if you can't get out and promote yourself to people you won't get sponsers.
You should know your sponsers,the better the relationship you have with them then the easier it is for them to deal with you and possibly even promote you further.
If they're supporting you and they can see results then they can justify the input,it's not all just about shiny meaningless stickers On the side of your car.

As for the cost of drifting in Ireland,it doesn't seem to be too bad.I cant see the entry fees alone stopping a person drifting.
As for BDC and less competitors,wasn't there an event in the uk recently where there was only a handful of drivers there?
A large amount of drifters competing, in my eyes is a good thing.It has a large range of talent building up and a large amount of money being spent in the drift industry and all that goes with it.
Plus the fact that it isn't always the same 'ol faces in the comps.
Ireland definitely has a high standard of drifting talent,as we've seen already good enough to prosper all over the world.
Some lads have no interest in going abroad but those that do AND are good enough will find a way of doing it.Others don't see the need.

mike g
03-11-09, 19:41

beats being ginger:D

serious tom
03-11-09, 19:56
It definitely is down to who you know to get sponsers etc because if you can't get out and promote yourself to people you won't get sponsers.
You should know your sponsers,the better the relationship you have with them then the easier it is for them to deal with you and possibly even promote you further.
If they're supporting you and they can see results then they can justify the input,it's not all just about shiny meaningless stickers On the side of your car.

As for the cost of drifting in Ireland,it doesn't seem to be too bad.I cant see the entry fees alone stopping a person drifting.
As for BDC and less competitors,wasn't there an event in the uk recently where there was only a handful of drivers there?
A large amount of drifters competing, in my eyes is a good thing.It has a large range of talent building up and a large amount of money being spent in the drift industry and all that goes with it.
Plus the fact that it isn't always the same 'ol faces in the comps.
Ireland definitely has a high standard of drifting talent,as we've seen already good enough to prosper all over the world.
Some lads have no interest in going abroad but those that do AND are good enough will find a way of doing it.Others don't see the need.

the driver talent is there. but the money may not be.
PD etc can get drivers, but can they still get the crowds,
the crowds are where they get the money from aswell, i belive that from a buisness point of view the crowds have become smaller and its up to the drivers to put money into the sport.
i heard that D-rift etc has no probs getting drivers but is that where the event gets its money from???

Hachihead
03-11-09, 20:36
I'm not even sure D-rift will be back next year.the spectator numbers are very low.
The events need the spectators.PD do seemto be trying things like passenger rides,stunt bikes,displays etc,but gate prices remain high.not sure what influences those.
The crowds do seem to be there for PD but the state the country is in €20 is a lot to pay,but the entertainment is good,just some people can't justify the price.
Definitely must be hard for the top level lads.
As for fFrenchy,the quality of cars he is building is getting worldwide recognition through sites such as speedhunters and people like paddy giving it the coverage.
Again,down to who he knows,but it's clear that there is a lot of effort there and it's not just handed to him.
As far as comps go and results,I don't think the influence is as strong as it used to be for the judges to favour the more "known" competitors.
I've seen very controversial results before but think it's very fair these days.
From what I've seen anyway.

m-sykes
03-11-09, 23:28

Wow. You can read the brochure.

iv had time to think about your reply to my post there.......

There's an old saying i can relate you to: 'For want of a nail, the horseshoe was lost. For want of a horseshoe, the steed was lost. For want of a steed, the message was not delivered. For want of an undelivered message, the war was lost

CillianS14a
04-11-09, 01:12
Wow. You can read the brochure.

iv had time to think about your reply to my post there.......

There's an old saying i can relate you to: 'For want of a nail, the horseshoe was lost. For want of a horseshoe, the steed was lost. For want of a steed, the message was not delivered. For want of an undelivered message, the war was lost

That makes absolutely no sense in relation to ste's post lad!haha!

m-sykes
04-11-09, 01:15
That makes absolutely no sense in relation to ste's post lad!haha!

so what then???????

see you later timberlake:D

mikeysr
04-11-09, 08:45
so what then???????

see you later timberlake:D

i think you mite need some speech therapy there mate or you can speak our language whenever you like....

bnollie
04-11-09, 18:42
I think its who you no at japfest the amount of times that Dean Kearney was clearly beaten against Danny Eyles and it was ran again was a fucking joke imo.It was clear who the judges wanted to win.Only for Dean spinning who nos who would of won it.well deserved win to Sinnot.Its clear as day ITS WHO YOU NO.Also Dan Moorehead is one of the best pilots i have seen in a drift car well over looked imo.

Mick K
04-11-09, 18:45
I think its who you no at japfest the amount of times that Dean Kearney was clearly beaten against Danny Eyles and it was ran again was a fucking joke imo.It was clear who the judges wanted to win.Only for Dean spinning who nos who would of won it.well deserved win to Sinnot.Its clear as day ITS WHO YOU NO.

Dear good lord,Somebody who agrees with me!

Frankae86
04-11-09, 18:50

That was a very very close battle, i know Mike and always like to see him progress but i couldnt complain with the judeing on that one. But i do think the judging is a joke here.

Frankae86
04-11-09, 18:58
I think its who you no at japfest the amount of times that Dean Kearney was clearly beaten against Danny Eyles and it was ran again was a fucking joke imo.It was clear who the judges wanted to win.Only for Dean spinning who nos who would of won it.well deserved win to Sinnot.Its clear as day ITS WHO YOU NO.Also Dan Moorehead is one of the best pilots i have seen in a drift car well over looked imo.

I think everyone that watches PD and knows anything at all about the rules is sickened by the favouriteism (spelling!) in the judging. And yeah Dan is a proper hard driver!

sil80drifter
04-11-09, 19:01
john mcarthy is that yellow m3 is a serious driver, HE is overlooked in prodrift

Driftma
04-11-09, 19:44
I'm just going to put this out there, but how the hell do they consider bergin and pedan judges,don't get me wrong there sound lads and all,but where are there credentials to be judges:o,and that 'simon cowell of drifting'(i can't think of his name)fella the amount of times hes rob'd me of a good run is crazy.:mad:
All i'm sayimg is that you need proven drivers as judges,not some fellas who think that the are good at it:o

sil80drifter
04-11-09, 19:46
I'm just going to put this out there, but how the hell do they consider bergin and pedan judges,don't get me wrong there sound lads and all,but where are there credentials to be judges:o,and that 'simon cowell of drifting'(i can't think of his name)fella the amount of times hes rob'd me of a good run is crazy.:mad:
All i'm sayimg is that you need proven drivers as judges,not some fellas who think that the are good at it:o

was pedan a driver?? never even remembered him drifting

cork kouki
04-11-09, 19:48
john mcarthy is that yellow m3 is a serious driver, HE is overlooked in prodrift

+1 savage pilot

sil80drifter
04-11-09, 19:50
+1 savage pilot

pure talant in that chap

Driftma
04-11-09, 20:35
was pedan a driver?? never even remembered him drifting

Ya he was,he had a 4 door r32

sil80drifter
04-11-09, 20:37
Ya he was,he had a 4 door r32

oh yea the white one

bnollie
04-11-09, 20:44

He is a serious pilot.Nice aggresive style.Fucking loud car too.:DI wonder who will be the judges favourite will be next year since Dean is gone to Formula D.hope they open their eyes and look at the talent in front of them and stop licking just one drivers ass.sick of seeing it.They need proper judges who can spot a good run and also see the mistakes.It must have made driver sick listening to the judges favourtism as everyone knows it goes on.We aint stupid.Imo the drivers are unfairly treated by prodrift anyway.

sil80drifter
04-11-09, 21:43
He is a serious pilot.Nice aggresive style.Fucking loud car too.:DI wonder who will be the judges favourite will be next year since Dean is gone to Formula D.hope they open their eyes and look at the talent in front of them and stop licking just one drivers ass.sick of seeing it.They need proper judges who can spot a good run and also see the mistakes.It must have made driver sick listening to the judges favourtism as everyone knows it goes on.We aint stupid.Imo the drivers are unfairly treated by prodrift anyway.

i remember him in that 535, could handle it very well

Chuck_g
04-11-09, 21:50

Me arse is he overlooked in PD, sure he won the superlap in Punchestown and everytime hes introduced they say hes crazy etc, which he is!! Pure aggressive entries!! PD is alot fairer than D-rift, judged by a blind old lady!!!

Mick K
04-11-09, 21:52

Deans running PD next year and not FD

Famous jh
04-11-09, 22:56
Its really odd the way the same few drivers have been up there year after year.....

As for the judges marty is spot on.... They seem a bit clanish..

Administrator
04-11-09, 23:09
I think in Drift Australia they have different judges for different things i.e. one judge for entry speed, one for line, one for proximity to clips etc. or something. Should that not be brought in here? As far as I know the current judges are each judging everything all in one.. Bit of an off topic but seems to be how the thread is going

Den
04-11-09, 23:14
The pd judging is ridiculous, Pedan will go with one driver and the rest of the judges follow, even darran mc namara said it when he was up on the stand at ennis and he was dead right. its pure clanish.

GinaGT-i
04-11-09, 23:27
I stopped going to PD years ago because of this reason. The judging is a joke and i got sick of seeing the same people winning.

NIALL JZX
04-11-09, 23:28
mite be a load of cock now, but heard a few weeks ago that pd were thinkin of changing sum of ther rules slightly...... like no handbraking coming into bends, youd lose point for draging the car like, they want drivers to drift and drift the whole track witout handbrake useage , jus link every bend....
sum change to clipping point rules too...... as i sed sum1 was on about this which may be a load of bollox..... if it did happen twud be a cunt though....

Carlie
04-11-09, 23:34
Prodrift judging is a load of gay.
Favouritism.
I swear if Alan Sinnot haden't won at Japfest, after sitting there for hours in the cold and rain shouting for him. I would have went up and set the judging tower on fire! HAHA.
Its obvious that its favouritism and who your friends with.
Such bollox.
Unless your licking major arse, you'll get nowhere.
New judges FTW :D

Chuck_g
04-11-09, 23:50
mite be a load of cock now, but heard a few weeks ago that pd were thinkin of changing sum of ther rules slightly...... like no handbraking coming into bends, youd lose point for draging the car like, they want drivers to drift and drift the whole track witout handbrake useage , jus link every bend....
sum change to clipping point rules too...... as i sed sum1 was on about this which may be a load of bollox..... if it did happen twud be a cunt though....

Would make it alot more interesting and challenging :)

NIALL JZX
05-11-09, 00:00
Would make it alot more interesting and challenging :)

o its true chuck , but a bit of handbrakin will always be needed here or there....? if ya cant use it in certain situations ya might straighten and all will be lost.. if ya do use it ya will loose points, suppose it wud make it a hell of a lot more challenging....

no expert but im jus sayin in general like...

sr20ronan
05-11-09, 00:40
I think in Drift Australia they have different judges for different things i.e. one judge for entry speed, one for line, one for proximity to clips etc. or something. Should that not be brought in here? As far as I know the current judges are each judging everything all in one..

Bit of an off topic but seems to be how the thread is going

No its not.

I noticed that too.

And if one judge gives a 5 the next gives a 7 and the other lad just goes between and gives a 6,

Like WTF

As Darren McNamara said in Fermoy out loud in the mic the judges just follow each other, maybe cause they havnt got a clue how to judge or as it did happin they forgot what happined in the run so they gave it a one more time..

It was funny looking at DMAC's head turn . he couldnt believe it
Edr could I but it was worth seeing his reaction, I lmfao

sr20ronan
05-11-09, 00:41
The pd judging is ridiculous, Pedan will go with one driver and the rest of the judges follow, even darran mc namara said it when he was up on the stand at ennis and he was dead right. its pure clanish.

ha didnt read down this far. proves my point

EvojeepGal
05-11-09, 00:48
So its now clutch kick or throw weight around the place, will work for some tracks but id hate to see the outcome of some novices cars on certain tracks!

It is encouraging and challenging to change the rules and judging perspectives a bit, it improves the allround standard of driving in the long run.

As for keeping to the topic though it is without a doubt who u know in the drift scene, given a prime example i called a very highly involved person in the uk today asking for advise on approaching sponsors and he said it is who u know and dont waste ur time approaching big companies.

The BDC is an unbelievable chamionship, its more down to earth for drivers starting out upto Pro level, they got an annual Dinner dance and award ceremony next wk end which is at the end of every season (Brilliant idea)

Anyone with sponsors on thier car knows the person on a personal level to an extent before getting wot ever deal it is.

There are cars in the UK in BDC getting £15/20k's worth of sponsorship thru ppl they know in the right places.
If u want to compete abroad and have enough drive in u to do it regardless of ur situation, u can and will do it althought the USA & Japan are at the top of the ladder its active competition and gives u something to set ur sights on if you think your good enough, its good to see the Irish lads getting the break and keeping them interested in competing, we dont want to lose the likes of Johnny P a 2nd time.

This thread aint about PD's judging nor their rules so i dont see why a lot of replies in this thread relate to that, start another thread for it considering theres enough input;)

Administrator
05-11-09, 13:38
Closing this. Everyone's had their say and it's going off topic.