PDA

View Full Version : Power? Boost?

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:04
My friends BM 320d estate feels like it has more pull out of it than my 180sx...

Had the 180 out on track, and it felt like nothing special. Tried to see what speed i could hit on the straight.. took ages to get anywhere near the tonne..

I briefly looked at my cheap boost guage, seen just over 0.4?.... hum....
Then i thought it might be the fact it has a cat ( its blowing a bit) ... but would a de-cat make a huge difference?...

Reason im posting this is because i had no tacho, and i was revving it out, and it still felt like it hadnt got much pull...

Any ideas anyone?...

Bobbys14
20-10-10, 19:08
My friends BM 320d estate feels like it has more pull out of it than my 180sx...

Had the 180 out on track, and it felt like nothing special. Tried to see what speed i could hit on the straight.. took ages to get anywhere near the tonne..

I briefly looked at my cheap boost guage, seen just over 0.4?.... hum....
Then i thought it might be the fact it has a cat ( its blowing a bit) ... but would a de-cat make a huge difference?...

Reason im posting this is because i had no tacho, and i was revving it out, and it still felt like it hadnt got much pull...

Any ideas anyone?...

Decat makes a good differensce, boost is very low crank that up a bit, what exhaust system you got have yo an elbow and downpipe?

Dunnedriftin
20-10-10, 19:10
Standard boost is .5 & also you in 2nd gear i take it when bouncing of the limiter?

S14a johno
20-10-10, 19:11
get rid of the decat man, it make a good bit of differance :cool::cool:
no restiction on the flow form the manifold

also push up the boost too .6 - .8

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:11
Only cat back.
Like I could barely get near a 100 on the straight.
No elbow, no downpipe, no manifold.
I must invest in a de-cat.

Yet, I doubt second hand ones come with gaskets and bolts etc, so i might be better off buying a new one... :confused:

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:12
Standard boost is .5 & also you in 2nd gear i take it when bouncing of the limiter?

At one stage i was getting everthing out of every gear. sitting there in 3rd planted.... waiting to get to the top of third...... just felt like there was nothing at the top... didnt want to pull anywhere near 4th :rolleyes:

Bobbys14
20-10-10, 19:14
Only cat back.
Like I could barely get near a 100 on the straight.
No elbow, no downpipe, no manifold.
I must invest in a de-cat.

Yet, I doubt second hand ones come with gaskets and bolts etc, so i might be better off buying a new one... :confused:

Downpipe next best upgrade after decat manifold wont make a difference, i put on a screamer elbow and no lag what so ever pull all the way..

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:14
get rid of the decat man, it make a good bit of differance :cool::cool:
no restiction on the flow form the manifold

also push up the boost too .6 - .8

You mean the std mani is fine?....
Think ill go for de-cat, then boost up to 0.6-0.8, then wait and maybe look into getting an elbow...

How you guys reckon i should up the boost? Manual or electronic?..

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:16
Downpipe next best upgrade after decat manifold wont make a difference, i put on a screamer elbow and no lag what so ever pull all the way..

de-cat then elbow then downpipe maybe... Yet im already 400 in debt and ive only had the car on track for an hour... :o:(

I actually want to kill it on track...

S14a johno
20-10-10, 19:16
You mean the std mani is fine?....
Think ill go for de-cat, then boost up to 0.6-0.8, then wait and maybe look into getting an elbow...

How you guys reckon i should up the boost? Manual or electronic?..

have ya got a boost contoller??
bobbys speaks the truth :)

Wolftown
20-10-10, 19:18
At one stage i was getting everthing out of every gear. sitting there in 3rd planted.... waiting to get to the top of third...... just felt like there was nothing at the top... didnt want to pull anywhere near 4th :rolleyes:

Fuel pump by any chance??

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:19
have ya got a boost contoller??

No.... Who do you think I am haha.
No. Ive got a 20 euro black face boost controller that isnt wired up yet and a tacho that doesnt work....
Pfft :D

What should I go for.. I understand the up the boost... but not 100 sure how..

Bobbys14
20-10-10, 19:19
de-cat then elbow then downpipe maybe... Yet im already 400 in debt and ive only had the car on track for an hour... :o:(

I actually want to kill it on track...

Ha ha be happy bout thet i'v put about 18k into mine after buying it for 10k and still haven't got to the track..

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:20
Fuel pump by any chance??

Hum... I hear it preping up fine when I start the ignition.... Hum... And i did let the car run when near empty when it was on the drive.. So possibly...
What you guys reckon?..

Wolftown
20-10-10, 19:22
Hum... I hear it preping up fine when I start the ignition.... Hum... And i did let the car run when near empty when it was on the drive.. So possibly...
What you guys reckon?..

Just when you say there doesn't seem to be much power high up the revs, reminds me of what my car was like when the pump was f*cked

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:23
Ha ha be happy bout thet i'v put about 18k into mine after buying it for 10k and still haven't got to the track..

Are you 17... with no job.. no car... no test.. no tools.. thought so... :D

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:25
Just when you say there doesn't seem to be much power high up the revs, reminds me of what my car was like when the pump was f*cked

Yea, im sitting there having to drive the absolute balls off it, and im afraid it will take half a day to get through 4th when planted. :rolleyes:

70 quid for a uprated one?... :/
Oh the car was a sr20de before.. would that matter to the standard furl pump?....

Bobbys14
20-10-10, 19:28
Are you 17... with no job.. no car... no test.. no tools.. thought so... :D

I'v no job :D:D:D

alan opel
20-10-10, 19:29
fit a manual boost controllet or a bleed valve, never mind what u hear they work fine, ive one on my drag car an it sits at 1.2 bar never spikes. u shud really get a downpipe decat, fuel pump, beeld valve and run .8 bar, standard sr's are slow like!:p

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:29
I'v no job :D:D:D

Ha. Well go on the dole then. :p
Having a GF doesnt help either.. I must admit..

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:30
fit a manual boost controllet or a bleed valve, never mind what u hear they work fine, ive one on my drag car an it sits at 1.2 bar never spikes. u shud really get a downpipe decat, fuel pump, beeld valve and run .8 bar, standard sr's are slow like!:p

They actually are... My friend didnt want to say it, but his 320 feels far quicker, i had to say it for him :p

2tonne
20-10-10, 19:31
sounds like your car is running shite man!!!
dont worry about decats manis etc till you get it running right to start with (no point)
as wolftown said check fuel pump (you'll here it prime but pressure may still be shite)
Afm boost leak etc...
try borrow an afm and pump...
hope that helps

alan opel
20-10-10, 19:34
is it running good, just slow? like its not spluttering or anything?

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:35
How shall i go about checking for boost leaks?
It has thee worst FMIC ive ever seen on it, so i dont even know how to go about checking it :rolleyes:

Yea. Im on a budget so I dont know what to buy. I need a rool cage too.. Which doesnt help. Driving test tomoro, so I can finally go around getting bits and pieces from the auto factors and what not, instead of waiting for three weeks for a bolt!

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:37
is it running good, just slow? like its not spluttering or anything?

No just feels like ages when its in high revs. Drove normal (whats normal.. I havent even got a road car..) No its seems ok, nothing out of the ordinary, I just feel like I want to drive it on the road for a bit so as I can get the best out of the car, i.e. learn how it drives best on revs etc. flat shifting and what not :p:p;)

2tonne
20-10-10, 19:39
get a can of carb spray and spray all the piping joints etc at idle,
if the idle drops you've found a leak :)
i'd say thats least likely though, if its not spluttering etc.. i reckon wolftowns probably on the money,
I've a spare working standard pump you can have if you get to dub...

way2fastforu
20-10-10, 19:41
prob jus feel slow cos its only boostin at .4...it should be boostin atleast .6....i reckon the turbo's jus runnin out boost too quick an it jus levels off at .4 an feels slow then cos its still not climbin the boost range any higher...get an upgraded pump an knock it up to .9 bar it'll def make alot difference

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:42
get a can of carb spray and spray all the piping joints etc at idle,
if the idle drops you've found a leak :)
i'd say thats least likely though, if its not spluttering etc.. i reckon wolftowns probably on the money,
I've a spare working standard pump you can have if you get to dub...

Might bring you up on that. Im from Newry. Ill have to see if there is anyone about here with one. But I like hittin Dublin on the bus. some job ;)

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:43
prob jus feel slow cos its only boostin at .4...it should be boostin atleast .6....i reckon the turbo's jus runnin out boost too quick an it jus levels off at .4 an feels slow then cos its still not climbin the boost range any higher...get an upgraded pump an knock it up to .9 bar it'll def make alot difference

Yea actually that sounds sorta right. Power for drifting, feathering and clutch kicking, but in a straight line, its like there is no boost at the top of the Rev range....

So fuel pumps anyone?... :D

2tonne
20-10-10, 19:46
Might bring you up on that. Im from Newry. Ill have to see if there is anyone about here with one. But I like hittin Dublin on the bus. some job ;)

No bother,
if it is really is slower than a 320 then its defo not right.
p.s. low fuel presssure on boost will also lower boost pressure somewhat

way2fastforu
20-10-10, 19:47
if it feels like theres no boost in the top of the rev range thats wat it is then...its jus not puttin enuf boost through the turbo to have the power higher up...my sil boosts .5 bar on low boost an feels like that...you jus need to raise the boost thats all!!

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:49
No bother,
if it is really is slower than a 320 then its defo not right.
p.s. low fuel presssure on boost will also lower boost pressure somewhat

Would running it lean cause these probelms? Well it was lean (just reg unleaded) ( i could hear the timing) for a bit when i was messing around my house, when the tank was near empty... For the track it was full to the brim with Super. :o

serious tom
20-10-10, 19:51
if it feels like theres no boost in the top of the rev range thats wat it is then...its jus not puttin enuf boost through the turbo to have the power higher up...my sil boosts .5 bar on low boost an feels like that...you jus need to raise the boost thats all!!

Where shall I buy a Boost controller?.. Can i fit it myself?.. Where should I buy fuel pump? Bosch 44?... :/

way2fastforu
20-10-10, 19:56
jus get a walbro 255l/ph pump an a bleed nipple dude...ya can get them on dw for fook all or im sure ya'd get a 2nd hand set on here...both are easy fit too...an im 99.9% sure it'll solve your power issues too...even if you jus get the bleed nipple for time bein an knock it up to .6 or .7.

serious tom
20-10-10, 20:00
jus get a walbro 255l/ph pump an a bleed nipple dude...ya can get them on dw for fook all or im sure ya'd get a 2nd hand set on here...both are easy fit too...an im 99.9% sure it'll solve your power issues too...even if you jus get the bleed nipple for time bein an knock it up to .6 or .7.

Definately sh-neakin' that on the Parents visa. Havent asked them for a penny yet. So its about time.

2tonne
20-10-10, 20:01
( i could hear the timing)

How do you mean?
Wouldnt be worried about super etc...
i reckon get someone who knows em to drive it,
if its running as slow as you say they'll notice,
if it really is down on power i wouldnt raise the boost till you figure that out...

serious tom
20-10-10, 20:03
How do you mean?
Wouldnt be worried about super etc...
i reckon get someone who knows em to drive it,
if its running as slow as you say they'll notice,
if it really is down on power i wouldnt raise the boost till you figure that out...

I could hear the timing retarding. So that means there is a change it was running lean.

2tonne
20-10-10, 20:05
I could hear the timing retarding. So that means there is a change it was running lean.

get a pump lad, sounds like it'll sort it, then if its sorted decat n up the boost :D

serious tom
20-10-10, 20:10
get a pump lad, sounds like it'll sort it, then if its sorted decat n up the boost :D

Sounds like a plan and a half! ;)

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Now I just need to get some money :D

I love boost!... or... well.... ( I will love boost)

way2fastforu
20-10-10, 20:12
( I will love boost)

Ooooooooh yesss you will:D

serious tom
20-10-10, 20:22
Ooooooooh yesss you will:D

Yum.
Very Yum.... and they thought it was fast when it was running fuck all boost... fuck the cruisers with their 1.6 civic sports... vtaaak ... pfft :D