PDA

View Full Version : Is my master cylinder f**ked????

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:20
Right story is, changed the rear calipers removed abs and ran new lines around.. Started bleeding while the car was off wasn't getting anything kept going still nuttin pedal just go to the floor, was getting a bit of pressure while pumping and it held so wasn't a leak in the system but when i let off and go again it would go straight to the floor kept kept going and was sure it was getting good, so i started the car and the pedel nearly went to the floor itself it was so so soft when i pressed it so while car was running i bled it an foot still going to the floor, when i pump the pedal really quick for a while the hydro gets tight and when i pull it the hydro keeps its pressure but the pedal goes to the floor after taking foot off. I have bled enough was doing it the last 3 nights..

Thanks for reading any help appricated.

Rob32
29-09-10, 20:30
Id say you have a massive airlock somewhere

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:32
Id say you have a massive airlock somewhere

I gravity fed the system for age's and bleed for hours possible air in the cylinder or is that possible?

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 20:34
Ya can't have a massive airlock somewhere.....! Are you 100% theres no air in the system....! Did ya try bleeding the master cylinder itself and did you let the master cylinder run dry....!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:41
Ya can't have a massive airlock somewhere.....! Are you 100% theres no air in the system....! Did ya try bleeding the master cylinder itself and did you let the master cylinder run dry....!

How do i bleed the cylinder? The line's was dry and the cylinder ran dry but i let it gravity feed head is minced 3 days trying to sort it..

Rob32
29-09-10, 20:45

:rolleyes: cant have a massive airlock then you ask has he massivly airlocked it :rolleyes:

Anyway, assuming you stripped all the lines from front to back and replaced them i would suggest bleeding them section by section, meaning crack them open at all the joins and bleed from front to back to get the fluid down, then you need to bleed the caliper the furthest away from the master cylinder first, eg. back left then back right then front left then front right

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:52
:rolleyes: cant have a massive airlock then you ask has he massivly airlocked it :rolleyes:

Anyway, assuming you stripped all the lines from front to back and replaced them i would suggest bleeding them section by section, meaning crack them open at all the joins and bleed from front to back to get the fluid down, then you need to bleed the caliper the furthest away from the master cylinder first, eg. back left then back right then front left then front right

I let ig gravity feed and i'm getting no air at all from any caliper.. How do i bleed the cylinder?

Rob32
29-09-10, 20:54
I let ig gravity feed and i'm getting no air at all from any caliper.. How do i bleed the cylinder?

so when you pump the pedal someone holds it and you open the nipple only brake fluid comes out? do you have a hydro handbrake?

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:55
so when you pump the pedal someone holds it and you open the nipple only brake fluid comes out? do you have a hydro handbrake?

Yes and yes..

Dunnedriftin
29-09-10, 20:56
Yes and yes..

is your hydro open or closed (pulled) when trying to bleed?

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 20:57
is your hydro open or closed (pulled) when trying to bleed?

I pump pedel till litle pressure open nipple pull hydro close nipple let off hydro let off pedal..:mad:

Rob32
29-09-10, 21:00
I pump pedel till litle pressure open nipple pull hydro close nipple let off hydro let off pedal..:mad:

try bleeding the back brakes using the hydro

GTSr32
29-09-10, 21:04
Right! This is a long shot! But iv seen this before!!!!

Have u put the rear calipers on the right side

I.E. Right caliper on the right side LOL

They fit on the wrong side before any ones asks and this leaves the bleed nipple to low so you can't get all the air out

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:04

The hydro only?

Dunnedriftin
29-09-10, 21:05

Pull the hydro tight, dont bleed the hydro until you have a good pedal on the foot brake. Bleed 1 at a time, Should work

Dunnedriftin
29-09-10, 21:07

No point, he needs to get a good foot brake pedal before you start bleeding the hydro. As i said, pull the hydro, and bleed the brakes with the foot brake as normal as if the hydro was never there, then when your happy with the foot brake, then bleed the hydro. :)

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:08
Right! This is a long shot! But iv seen this before!!!!

Have u put the rear calipers on the right side

I.E. Right caliper on the right side LOL

They fit on the wrong side before any ones asks and this leaves the bleed nipple to low so you can't get all the air out

No chris didn't do this checked the calipers first nipple is on the top..

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:10
No point, he needs to get a good foot brake pedal before you start bleeding the hydro. As i said, pull the hydro, and bleed the brakes with the foot brake as normal as if the hydro was never there, then when your happy with the foot brake, then bleed the hydro. :)

Dont get ya, pull hydro and pump pedal till pressure then what ya mean bleed the hydro?

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:14
Bleeding the back brakes with the hybro won't make a differance....! Are the 2 lines going into each caliper at the back the same lenght....! You bleed the m/c by just opening 1 of the lines going into it....!

Right il tell ya what 2 do...! Start bleeding the back driver side caliper then move to the front passanger side and bleed it...! Then move back 2 the back passanger side and finish with the front drivers side....!

And make sure your calipers are on the right way and theres no leaks in any of the lines.....!

If you do all this and and it still don't work its your m/c because i hve seen them go when let run dry...!

Good luck.... :)

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:16
Jesus just tought there lad the 2 lines going into the hydro might be the wrong way round.....! Check for that too...!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:23
Bleeding the back brakes with the hybro won't make a differance....! Are the 2 lines going into each caliper at the back the same lenght....! You bleed the m/c by just opening 1 of the lines going into it....!

Right il tell ya what 2 do...! Start bleeding the back driver side caliper then move to the front passanger side and bleed it...! Then move back 2 the back passanger side and finish with the front drivers side....!

And make sure your calipers are on the right way and theres no leaks in any of the lines.....!

If you do all this and and it still don't work its your m/c because i hve seen them go when let run dry...!

Good luck.... :)

I had good preasure before i changed the calipers and removed the abs, lines on the hydro are ok it was in when i had good presure, Lines at the back are different lenghts front are the same lenght.. I'll try bleed the cylinder..

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:26
If there different lenghts bleed the longest 1 first...!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:27
If there different lenghts bleed the longest 1 first...!

I'v done this for 2-3 hrs for 3 day's lad it just wont work..

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:34
Try another m/c cylinder so lad is your best bet...!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:38
Dose the bleed nipple on the front have to be on the top cause there not but i never had them off or can they be put on the wrong side?

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:45
BINGO......! Theres your problem lad.......! They will not bleed if there on the bottom....! Your calipers are on the wrong way round...!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:47
BINGO......! Theres your problem lad.......! They will not bleed if there on the bottom....! Your calipers are on the wrong way round...!

I never had the front off and had good pressure before!! Can the front calipers be used on both side's leavint the nipple on the top??

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:48
Yep there the wrond way round now....! Just switch the around....!

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:51
Yep there the wrond way round now....! Just switch the around....!

I'll do this tomorrow can't belive i had pressure before if they on wrong was obviously just lucky no air got into the system!!

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 21:54
I dunno how you did....! Don't worrie your not the 1st lad ever to make this mistake..... ;)

Bobbys14
29-09-10, 21:55
I dunno how you did....! Don't worrie your not the 1st lad ever to make this mistake..... ;)

Ha cheers robbie

Robbie Daly Ps13
29-09-10, 22:00
No problem lad hope it works 4 ya...!

sil80drifter
30-09-10, 20:46

this would be a reason for a hydro not to lock???

dazgib
30-09-10, 21:17
Ha cheers robbie

Dummy!!! Rookie mistake :D:D:D

Bobbys14
30-09-10, 21:23
Dummy!!! Rookie mistake :D:D:D

Go problem drink wit conor:D